Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Did-A-Chick, Friendo?

If you don't get the references above, then you may not get the full impact of this post. It's being reported that Academy Award winner (and acording to my wife, muy caliente) Javier Bardem has been cast as Roland Deschain in the upcoming gargantuan adaptation of Stephen King's Dark Tower series of novels. 

The book series, which stretched over seven novels, will be adapted into a trilogy of films, with two TV miniseries airing to bridge the gaps between novels. Bardem was long time favourite for the role, and while he currently has only signed for the first film and the miniseries, it is intended that he will appear in all of the films. Ron Howard is expected to direct the first film, at least, with Akiva Goldsman and Mark Verheiden writing the screenplays.


I've read all the books, and while I'm hardly a super-fan, I did really quite enjoy them. At least until the final book, which does make some choices that are a little unsatisfying. Bardem is a fantastic actor, and he certainly will bring a lot to the role, but I can't say I really picture him as Roland. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he'll be great, but whenever I pictured Roland some of the other front-runners fit better; Hugh Jackman or Daniel Craig.

Still, it's an inspired choice, and one that makes sure that at least Roland will be memorable.

1 comment:

Timelords said...

Can't say much about the series. Read the first novel many years ago and didn't care for it.

But funny you should day you don't see Bardem in the role, but see Daniel Craig. As I was reading the article, before I got to the end, I was thinking Bardem was sort-of a Latin-America Craig.