Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Enterprise launches in Sydney and Texas....


Well, JJ Abrams' Star Trek had its premiere in Sydney, Australia, which you can read about here, but the big news is about a recent event at the famed Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, TX.

Ain't It Cool News was hosting an event at the theatre showing a supposedly pristine print of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan accompanied by ten minutes of new footage from the latest film in the franchise, which is scheduled to open May 8th.

A few minutes into the film however, the print seemed to melt, putting a halt to the whole screening. Then, a man in a cap entered the theatre, holding a film can. That man was Leonard Nimoy, who proceeded to ask the crowd if they would rather see the new film in its entireity. Spock was the FedEx guy. Weird.

While those who saw the film at its premiere in Sydney aren't allowed to post reviews until April 26th, the Drafthouse audience are under no such restriction, and reviews have been positive, to put it mildly.

Quint at Aint It Cool says:

Star Trek isn’t just a successful reboot, but a genuinely fun and exciting science fiction action adventure. My biggest complaint is that it feels like they just got started up when the film ended. I want more! I want to see the further adventures of Captain James T. Kirk and his crew aboard the USS Enterprise.

Josh Tyler at Cinemablend says:

The runtime flies by with very few lulls in the pacing, reinvigorating characters and a universe that had, let's be honest, grown stale and tired. More than anything else, the movie just feels so much more fun than any previous entry. There’s more humor, more thrills, far more energy and a much better movie here than anything I’ve seen from Star Trek since the 80’s. I admit I was skeptical- I was not prepared to care about this universe and these characters again, after the crushing mediocrity that they had become. I can be skeptical no more, though. This is a fantastic movie its own right, one I would definitely recommend to Trekkie and new fan alike.

Massawrym at Aint It Cool had this to say:

Everything just feels right. Organic. Authentic. That’s the word. Authentic. This never feels like a copy. It’s the real deal. And there’s a good chance it is going to blow your fucking doors off. I cannot express how happy I am with this film. Every moment worked for me – it felt like there wasn’t so much as a hair out of place. I LOVED it. My non Trek-loving wife LOVED it.

Finally, Harry Knowles, the Godfather of AICN:

This is the Star Trek that I’ve been waiting for. Star Trek that is on a grand level of spectacle, Star Trek that is smart science fiction and Star Trek that gives me characters that I love to spend time with. That’s the Star Trek that JJ Abrams sprung on me tonight and for that, I say for a third time, “God Bless JJ ABRAMS!!!”

Now, granted, these are from genre-loving fanboys who are in love with hyperbole and who really want this film to be good, but it's important to remember that fanboys can be incredibly savage with equal fervor.

Still, I'm guardedly excited, and hope that their early praise is true. As my friend Newman said, "Nothing could be worse than that last shitty TV show they put out". While that is true, I would really like to see it back to its former glory.

No comments: