Friday, April 3, 2009

Do you want to see an incomplete, quite possibly mediocre superhero movie?


As many of you undoubtedly know, a workprint of the upcoming 20th Century Fox film X-Men Origins: Wolverine has been leaked to the interwebs.

While it's not unheard of that snippets of movies find their way onto the net through shady means, it is unusual that a whole film is leaked just over a month before its release.

Keep in mind, this is a workprint, which means that most of the effects are not done, nor is the music the actual music for the finished film. Still, this does give those willing to steal the opportunity to see a version of the film.

Now, while I understand the position of some of those out there who see the interwebs as some sort of global Robin Hood, enabling the powerless public to have access to media they were cruelly charged for in the past, I also think there's another way to look at it:

You're thieves.

You can talk about leveling the global playing field allllllll you want, but at the end of the day, you're stealing something because, hey, why the fuck should I pay for it when I can jack it for free? You know who else thinks like that? Criminals. And before you jump all up in my grill, I don't download anything. Not music, not movies, nothing. The only kind of downloading I agree with is downloading TV shows, because they were broadcast for free originally anyways.

They called the FBI to investigate this leak, and they should. People worked hard, studios put up a fuckload of cash, Hugh Jackman worked out more in six months than I ever have in my entire life. The very least we can do if we want to see this movie that hundreds of people put literally years of their lives into is plunk down $12.50. And really, who's THIS excited to see this movie? I devour comic books like candy, and even I think this'll probably be shit.

By the way, the only thing worse than dowloading this movie? Doing so and then posting a review for all to see. That's like stealing someone's car and then taking out a classified ad saying their pre-set radio stations were all shitty.

So, those of you dying to see every shitty X-Man that they couldn't be bothered to stick in the first three movies? Knock yourselves out. And don't talk to me about Gambit. Gambit sucks. Hard.

No comments: