Tuesday, September 9, 2008

We now resume our broadcasting day....

Hey, all,

I know, it's been a few days since my last post, but I've been a traveling fool. Me, Mrs. Nerdlinger and the Nerd Spawn flew off to a family wedding last week, and I've been unable to post until my return.

We went to the wonderful city of Winnipeg, childhood home of the 'rents, where many of my extended fam still resides. Personally, Winnipeg seems like a great place to be from, but not so great a place to actually live. I mean no slight on the people or even the town itself, but rather the climate. Seriously, if you want to know what the climate in the 'Peg is like, read Dante.

The winters last for six months and are cold enough to make hyperbole its bitch. Then comes the flooding. Once the floodwaters recede come mosquitoes and black flies in such quantities that you'll think you're watching a 1970s disaster film. Oh yeah, then the summers are hot enough to make your ball sweat have ball sweat.

But there is compensation, and that comes in the forms of sweet, wonderful hamburger stands. Winnipeg has a plethora of actual hamburger stands, most of which have been around for decades and all of which serve, I kid you not, the best damn burgers you have ever eaten. There are heated debates about which one is the best, although my family has always sworn by The Dairy Whip on Marion Street. It's a tiny stand that has been in operation for 50 years. If you've been in business for half a century, you better believe the burger is good. This place is known as "The Greek's" by those in the know, and if you're ever in town, do not leave without sampling one.

I couldn't find a picture of The Greek's, but the close second in terms of addictiveness is Mrs. Mike's on Tache. Here's a shot:



No kidding, we ate burgers for lunch every day we were there.

By the way, the wedding was great, the family was awesome, and the Spawn slept through both plane rides! Score!

No comments: