Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This Looks Like a Job For........


......SUPERMAN!


Yep, after 12 wonderous (if often delayed) and brilliant issues, All Star Superman is coming to a close today with issue #12.


The series, written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frank Quitely, has won Eisners for Best New Series and Best Continuing Series, and it deserved both. In an age where melodrama, violence and sombre tales dominate the market, this series was whimsical without being silly, heartfelt without being cheesy, and thrilling without being drenced in violence. In short, it was the first series I read as an adult that actually reminded me of the comics I read as a kid.


It's also the best Superman story I've read in years. He's a notoriously hard character to write, as evidenced by all the shitty stories he's been in over the years. When people tell me Superman's lame, this is the story I point to and say, "No, he's a fucking classic and when he's well-written there are no other superheroes that can hold a candle to him." Sadly, most of time he isn't as well written.


DC's All Star line has been wildly inconsistent, with All Star Batman being the most moronic interpretation of the character I've ever read. After Batman finishes (if that ever happens) I expect we'll see it fold. At least it yielded All Star Superman, a certifiable classic. If you see it collected, pick it up. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: