Wednesday, September 24, 2008

LHC is out of action; Humanity spared Black Hole in Europe!


According to recent news reports, The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has had to shut down in light of a major fault. If you'll recall, I first wrote about the LHC here, where, to my chagrin, I got the date of its activation wrong. However, I pointed out to people who corrected me that this only gave you an extra week to make peace with whatever deities you may worship.


According to a press statement issued by CERN, the problem stems from the following:


...the most likely cause of the incident was a faulty electrical connection between two of the accelerator’s magnets. Before a full understanding of the incident can be established, however, the sector has to be brought to room temperature and the magnets involved opened up for inspection. This will take three to four weeks. Full details of this investigation will be made available once it is complete.


So, it appears we're spared from the appearance of a black hole on Earth.....aside from this one:

From Deconstructing Harry:

Harry: Cookie, do you know what a black hole is?

Cookie, the Hooker: Sure, that's how I make my livin'!

No comments: